All text and images © Friends of the Ullswater Way 2017
Many artists have been, and still are, inspired by the Ullswater valley. The Artists’ Seat celebrates three such artists, JMW Turner, John Glover and Ann Macbeth.
Ann Macbeth, born in 1875 in Bolton, was a leading student in Fra and Jessie Newberry’s Glasgow School of Art and later Head of Embroidery there. Her strong design motifs complemented the furniture and stylish new interiors being created by amongst others Charles Rennie Mackintosh.
After winning the silver medal at the International Exhibition of Decorative Arts in Turin, Italy, in 1902, she gained a European reputation. Her influence, through her inspired teaching with its emphasis on design, can still be felt today. She wrote several books for children and adults to propagate her view that everyone was capable of creating attractive and useful objects.
Ann Macbeth lived for many years in both Hartsop and Patterdale, and her work can be seen in Glasgow, London and here, in St. Patrick’s Church Patterdale. A leading student, Grace Melvin, helped to set up the School of Art in Vancouver, thus spreading Ann’s influence to Canada and other parts of the world.
ARTITSTS’ SEAT -
John Glover was born in 1767 in Leicestershire and later had great success as a landscape painter. He was very much influenced by the sixteenth century French artist Claude Lorrain, becoming known in Europe as “the English Claude”.
He travelled widely and lived for some years in a house called Blowick on the shores of Ullswater. In 1831 he arrived in Tasmania and began to paint the island’s very different scenery and aboriginal people, becoming famous as the founder of Australian landscape painting.
John Glover died in 1849 at his home in Tasmania. The house was called Patterdale in memory of his time in the Lakes.
Joseph Mallord William Turner, born in 1775, is regarded as the greatest of English landscape painters because of his handling of light, colour and atmosphere.
He first visited the Lake District in 1797, when most of his paintings and sketches of the area were produced, returning for short periods in 1801 and 1809. One of his most enthusiastic patrons was the Earl of Egremont, who had close connections with the Lake District, and for whom he painted a view of Cockermouth Castle.
During his stay in the Lakes Turner developed his style, but in his most famous paintings, such as The Fighting Temeraire, celebrated by the influential critic and Lake District resident John Ruskin, his work becomes more and more impressionistic and reflects a world changed by the Industrial Revolution. He died in 1851.
Thanks to our sponsors and supporters
The Hadfield Trust , in honour of their sponsor the late Mrs Kathleen Bibby, a Cumbrian artist
Cumbria Waste Management Environment Trust
The National Trust
|Cockpit Stone Circle|
|Wainwright Sitting Stone|
|Sharrow Bay Hotel|
|Wainwright Plaque at Patterdale Post Office|
|St Patrick's Church Patterdale|
|Patterdale Parish War Memorial|
|Somnambulist at Aira Force|
|Pooley Bridge Fish Monument|